Here’s what homeowners need to know if a pipe bursts or leaks – WSOC TV


CHARLOTTE, North Carolina – After two waterline ruptures in Charlotte in less than 24 hours, Jason Stoogenke of Action 9 has advice for homeowners in the event of a pipe burst on your property. Here’s what you need to know.


When there is a broken water pipe, usually the city or town where the break occurs will solve the problem. A residential warranty can cover repairs to your property, but not cleaning. Home insurance can cover cleaning, but not repair.

(WATCH: Meteorologist John Ahrens breaks down possible causes of ‘historic’ Charlotte water main rupture)


If a main line break causes damage to your property, home insurance generally won’t cover it. Homeowners can purchase a water and sewer back-up cover, which can help. Coverage costs about $ 45 per year for $ 25,000 in coverage.

Stoogenke reminds homeowners that most policies do not cover flooding, but flood insurance can be purchased. It usually takes 30 days for a policy to take effect.

He said you can also file a claim with the city.

Stoogenke also suggests documenting the incident by taking pictures and keeping receipts if you spend money on repairs or cleanup.

(WATCH: Boil water advisory in place after “historic” water main rupture: what you need to know)

Source link


Leave A Reply